Beauty Comes Naturally
Why mess with perfection? It's amazing the beauty that Mother Nature has created, which is why we take our cues from her when developing all of our bath and body products. Since we're obsessed with natural, it's frustrating to us that so many people are confused about what being "natural" really means.
It's no wonder really, since there is no standard definition of what's "natural" and what's not. (Surprising! We know.) Unfortunately not every product that uses the term "natural" actually is natural. We want you to know exactly what you're putting on your skin, especially since so much of what goes on your body is absorbed into it. So to be sure we're all on the same page, we've adopted this Natural Standard* defining exactly what it means to be truly natural.
The Definition of "Natural"
All products that are labeled "Natural" must:
- Be made with at least 95 percent ingredients that come from a renewable or plentiful source found in nature.
- Contain no ingredients with any suspected potential human health risks.
- Use no processes that significantly or adversely alter the purity or effect of the natural ingredients.
A non-natural ingredient can be used:
- Only when there is no viable natural alternative ingredient available and...
- Only when there are no suspected potential human health risks.
Healthy Is In. Here is What's Out.
These ingredients don't belong in "Natural" products:
- Synthetic Dyes and Colorants (FD&C colors) - Possible skin irritants and allergens.
- Synthetic Fragrances - Possible skin irritants and allergens.
- Phthalates - Synthetic fragrance components that are potential toxins.
- TEA or DEA - Synthetic stabilizers that can react with other ingredients and form nitrosamines, known carcinogens.
- Sulfates (sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate) - Synthetic detergents that dry, irritate and potentially damage skin.
- Parabens - Synthetic preservatives that are potential toxins. Parabens were widely used and acceptable in natural products before a viable natural preservation system became available.
- Petro Chemicals (petrolatum/mineral oil/paraffin) - Non-renewable byproducts of crude oil with potentially dangerous impurities.
- Silicone (cyclomethicone/dimethicone) - Chemical lubricant used to enhance a products slippery feel that are potential toxins.
- Glycols - Synthetic chemicals that may potentially draw other dangerous chemicals into the bloodstream.
- PEGs or PPGs - Synthetic ingredients processed with ethylene oxide, a toxin.
- Formaldehyde - A known carcinogen.
- Carbomer - A thickener that is a potential skin irritant.
- Talc - A known carcinogen.
We pledge to follow this Natural Standard and only create products that are pure and healthy. To demonstrate our committment to a wider and better understanding of "natural," we are in the process of adding a black box to each of our product's labels indicating the precise percentage of natural and/or organic ingredients in that specific product. If you ever have any questions about our ingredients please don't hesitate to email firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOW TO REACH US
Bath By Bettijo is based in Phoenix, Arizona.